How to Set Up a Beauty Salon in Dubai
The UAE is one of the fastest-growing markets for beauty and personal care products and services in the world. Consumers in the UAE are estimated to spend USD 247 per capita on personal care which represents the highest amount in the Middle East and 9th highest amount globally.
Dubai, in particular has a predominantly young population, who are generally very image conscious and have plenty of disposable income and a strong desire to look and feel good.
The demand for salons that can cater to these needs is therefore very high. If you’re considering setting up a salon in Dubai, there are several important issues to consider. This article offers practical advice and some of the key considerations.
Best Business Jurisdiction for a Salon? Mainland or Free Zone?
Salon owners can open a salon in nearly any part of the city. However, some areas may be more profitable than others. The location you choose will dictate your overall operating costs and access to certain types of clients. When it comes to selecting a location, business owners have two main options — setting up on the mainland or in one of Dubai’s many free zones.
For salons to be profitable, they need to receive a steady flow of customers throughout the day. A salon on the mainland will likely have better access to the emirate’s more densely populated residential areas, which can increase overall profitability. However, establishing your salon in a free zone can also be a good choice if your services align with the specific clientele and needs of those who work within the free zone. A free zone setup will also generally be more cost effective than setting up on the mainland.
What Types of Services Can Beauty Salons Offer?
Beauty and hairdressing salons in Dubai can provide a wide range of services under their approved licence. The business owner may choose to perform all of these services or specialise in a certain area.
● Hairdressing and Barber Services – These are the primary services for most beauty salons and include hair washing, cutting, dyeing, and styling.
● Cosmetics - Beauty salons are permitted to apply makeup and provide skin care procedures such as skin cleansing and skin hair removal.
● Manicures and Pedicures - Salons can provide services related to nail care and beauty of the hands and feet including trimming and nail painting.
● Specialty Services - Some specialty services may be performed by some salons such as henna and microblading.
● Product Sales - Businesses are also allowed to sell any tools or products related to the services they provide such as cosmetics, soap, and hair care products.
It’s very important for salon owners to also understand what services are prohibited by the governing authorities. For example, laser hair removal and food sales are prohibited in beauty salons. Violations can result in having the salon licence revoked.
Guidelines and Requirements for Beauty Salons in Dubai
Beauty salons must meet a strict set of standards that are established by Trakhees, the regulatory arm of the Ports, Customs, and Free Zone Corporation (PCFC). These standards are designed to ensure that all beauty salons operate in a manner that provides a safe and hygienic experience for all beauty salon customers.
● Staff and Training - These guidelines dictate what licensing (Occupancy Health Card issued from Trakhees) is required for each employee and, what uniforms and PPE (personal protective equipment) must be worn. It also details important personal hygiene practices that must be maintained.
● Facility and Premises - All beauty salon facilities must comply with specific furniture and design standards including seating in waiting areas, types of countertops that must be used and the provision of dedicated areas for mixing cosmetics or hair products.
● Tools and Supplies - Tools and equipment must be cleaned regularly to ensure that customers are protected from disease and infection. The salon must also provide things like clean towels and disposable materials (face sponges, waxing sticks, etc.). Salons should also post appropriate signage and hygiene reminders as required.
● Management Responsibilities - Management needs to verify that the salon follows and complies with all requirements set forth by Trakhees including verifying staff qualifications, reviewing health and hygiene practices, and correcting any deficiencies immediately.
How to Set Up a Beauty Salon in Dubai
Setting up a beauty salon in Dubai is relatively straightforward as long as you follow the rules and regulations required for this type of business.
● Step 1: Get Initial License Approval - Salons need to start the licensing process with the Department of Economic Development (DED) or the equivalent authority in free zones. During this step, a few documents are required including an application, a copy of all owners’ passports, and the proposed name of the business.
● Step 2: Select a Location - Once you have the initial trade license approval, the business will need to select a location. It’s critical that the location complies with all design standards required by Trakhees. In some cases, this step may take a while if construction or alteration to the space is required.
● Step 3: Get Location Inspection - Once the location meets all standards, the owner will provide the Planning Department of Dubai Municipality with the lease agreement and schedule an inspection. Once the Planning Department has confirmed that the location meets all standards from the Public Health & Safety Department, an inspection card will be issued.
● Step 4: Pay Fees - The cost for a salon license is approximately AED 9,538 (or about USD 2,600). In addition, the owner will need to pay a 2.5% market fee which is calculated based on the annual rent of the shop. This of course depends on the size and location of the space the business chooses for its salon.
Streamline the Process of Opening a Beauty Salon in the Dubai
While opening a beauty salon in Dubai can be an exciting opportunity, the process of securing a location and licence can be frustrating. Missing documentation or not understanding all the requirements could cause major delays. Having an expert on your side can help make the process much easier and ensure you get your salon up and running as soon as possible.
How Can PRO Partner Group help?
PRO Partner Group has an experienced team with unparalleled knowledge of business incorporation procedures and government regulatory requirements.
We can guide you through the process of licensing and visa acquisition and liaise directly with government departments on your behalf.
If you need assistance with setting up a beauty salon or any other related onshore or offshore company setup, restructuring, local partner or PRO support matter in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, the wider UAE, Oman, Qatar or KSA, then please do get in touch with us on +971 (0)4 456 1761 for Dubai or +971 (0)2 448 5120 for Abu Dhabi, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or complete the contact form below and we will be delighted to assist you.