How to set up a medical clinic in the UAE | PRO Partner Group
How to set up a medical clinic in the UAE
Providing world-class healthcare is of top priority on the UAE’s agenda. The UAE intends to establish itself as a global healthcare hub, providing an exceptional quality of life for its citizens, residents, and visitors.
The UAE healthcare standards outrank regional and worldwide averages, making it a compelling destination for medical centres and clinics to set up. The investment opportunities in both the public and private healthcare sectors are clear, and the UAE’s healthcare portfolio is extensive. The 2020 statistical annual report released by The UAE Ministry of Health & Prevention, reported a total of 157 hospitals (53 public hospitals and 104 private hospitals) and 5,369 healthcare centres across the UAE. These numbers are growing year-on-year, rising to meet the demand for quality healthcare as well as aiming to provide easy access to clinics, hospitals, e-health, and smart health services.
The UAE’s healthcare strategy can be defined by some of these key indicators:
- A destination for medical tourism and learnings.
- Long-term residency options for entrepreneurs and specialised talents.
- Supporting infrastructure and technologies.
Medical Tourism in the UAE
There is a wealth of opportunity in the UAE for medical tourism and education. As the UAE is easily accessible to a global healthcare audience, we have seen an increase in the Emirates hosting international health, medical and science events and exhibitions. The Arab Health 2022 exhibition reported welcoming over 53,000 attendees from over 184 different countries and concluded deals worth over AED2.8 billion.
Long-term Residency Options for Entrepreneurs and Specialised Talents
The UAE’s government initiative to appeal to industrialists, innovators and entrepreneurs in sectors such as pharmaceutical and medical technology is to expand their residency programme offerings. The UAE is taking large steps to attract and retain healthcare professionals. The popular 10-year UAE Golden Visa includes an eligibility category for ‘Outstanding Specialised Talent’ which is applicable to doctors, doctoral degree holders and scientists, assuming they meet all the defined criteria. The ‘Investors’ category also allows the opportunity for businesses in the medical sectors, with the appropriate funds, to invest in business and real estate in the UAE.
Supporting Infrastructure and Technologies
The UAE has provided, through its well-established infrastructure, a thriving environment for businesses in the medical sector. The UAE government has provided on-going support to the healthcare industry to grow and maintain a reputation as a global healthcare hub. The UAE’s healthcare and medical future is looking to high-tech equipment, modern scientific methods, and innovative technologies to service humanity. 3-D medical printing is just one prime example of the UAE’s healthcare strategies, focusing on developing 3-D printed bones, teeth, organs and more, to aid the treatment of patients and to emphasize industry leading technology and medical solutions the UAE has forged.
If you are considering where is best to set up your medical business in the UAE, there are many dedicated locations and free zones for consideration. For example, in Dubai there is Dubai Healthcare City (DHCC), Dubai Science Park and others alike, that are custom built and fully equipped with infrastructure and medical-driven regulatory authorities to support businesses specifically in the medical sector.
The key steps required to set up a medical clinic:
1. Register business trade name with the Department of Economic Development (DED).
2. Apply for initial approval with the DED (after you have registered your trade name) and submit key documentation, including passport copies and business plan for Dubai Municipality approval.
3. Get approval from the Dubai Health Authority (DHA). Further documentation will be required for submission:
- Floor plan matching DHA requirements. For this matter it’s mandatory to get a DHA approved contractor/architect to prepare the floor plan and clinic configuration.
- Trade name approval.
- Valid Emirates ID card.
- Valid passport and visa copies.
- Proposal letter.
4. The main appointed doctor of the clinic will have to register with the DHA. Further supporting documents will be required here; depending on the country and education portfolio of the applicant, the doctor may be required to take an exam.
5. When initial approval is in place, including DHA approval, lease agreement and medical director appointed, we will then be able to obtain the Trade License from the DED.
6. To follow, the DHA will run an inspection on the clinic and then approve the DHA license to begin business operations.
How can PRO Partner Group help?
PRO Partner Group can assist clients to set up a medical clinic in the UAE. Our government and authorizing authority relationships enable us to make the process as seamless as possible for our clients.
For further information and assistance on setting up a medical clinic in the UAE and for any related company formation, visa and licensing, compliance and supporting corporate services in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, the wider UAE, Oman, Qatar, Bahrain or KSA, then please do get in touch with us on +971 (0)4 456 1761 for Dubai or +971 (0)2 448 5120 for Abu Dhabi, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or complete the contact form below and we will be delighted to assist you.